Marriage Registration in Turkey
Marriage Registration in TurkeyUpdated on Friday 15th March 2019
based on 4 reviews.
You can also rely on our Turkish law firm if you need legal assistance related to other family law matters.
The validity of marriage registration in Turkey
Under the Turkish Family Law, in order to be valid, the individuals seeking to register their marriage must comply with a few requirements. These are:
- both spouses must have the mental capacity to enter a marriage and must give their consent;
- both spouses must be at least 18 years old at the moment they request the registration of their marriage;
- persons coming from the same family are not allowed to get married in Turkey, their marriage will not be recognized even if it was registered abroad;
- in case one of the spouses was married before, a waiting period is imposed under the Turkish legislation;
- there are certain illnesses which do not permit the registration of marriage in Turkey.
Our Turkish lawyers can explain all the requirements imposed under the Family Law for those who want to register their marriages here.
The no impediment marriage certificate in Turkey
One of the most important documents to be obtained when registering a marriage in Turkey, no matter if the spouses are foreigners or Turkish citizens, is the no objection or no impediment certificate. This is a document issued by a Turkish court in the case of Turkish nationals, or by the relevant authorities in the country of residence of foreign citizens.
Foreigners interested in registering their marriages in Turkey can also obtain the no impediment certificate in Turkey from the local authorities, however, they should know the following:
- - they must arrive in Turkey at least 2 months before the marriage takes place in order to complete the formalities;
- - they must reside in Turkey for at least 21 days in order to be allowed to apply for the no impediment certificate;
- - they must then wait another 21 days for the certificate to be issued by the Turkish authorities;
- - if they have obtained the no objection certificate in their home country, they will only need 3 or 4 days to have it translated and authenticated.
Our law firm in Turkey can offer more information or assistance with the procedure of obtaining the no impediment certificate.
Necessary documents for marriage registration in Turkey
The marriage between two foreigners in Turkey
Foreign citizens interested in getting married in Turkey should know that they don’t need to make any previous preparations for the marriage, however, they are advised to obtain the eligibility certificates in their home countries and have them translated and notarized in Turkey in order to reduce the waiting period.
It is also advisable to book the appointment with the Turkish marriage office a few weeks before and arrive in Turkey at least 3 or 4 days before the marriage takes place.
There are no residence permit requirements for foreign citizens seeking to register their marriages in Turkey if they have the no impediment certificates issued by the authorities in their home country. If one or both spouses are foreign citizens, they will only need tourist visas for traveling to Turkey.
The marriage registration ceremony in Turkey
For both nationals and foreigners, the Turkish marriage registration procedure will imply the same steps. The spouses will submit the documents required by the marriage office in person. Both spouses will also be required to submit declarations on their intentions of registering the marriage. The spouses must have at least two witnesses, who cannot be family members.
Our lawyers in Turkey can offer more information on the registration procedure of a marriage.
Recognition of marriages registered in Turkey
One of the most important aspects of marriage registration of foreign citizens in Turkey is that of the recognition of the marriage in their home countries. It is good to know that most countries recognize marriage registration in Turkey without any other additional action. However, foreign spouses can have the marriage certificate issued by the Turkish authorities translated, authenticated and sent to the marriage registration office in their home countries.
This is also available for foreign citizens marrying Turkish citizens and who want to have the marriage recognized in both countries.